The old Muskegon Union Depot was built in 1895 and remained as a passenger station until its closure in 1970. Fortunately, the building was saved but left vacant for a couple decades until it was finally converted into a visitor and convention center, a museum and a bus stop.
Apart from retaining the many traditional Michigan rustic-style stone details, the most successful aspect of this adaptive reuse is keeping the original function of the building as a place for everyone who comes to visit Muskegon, the city in which its lumber was used to build the old Chicago before the great fire.
Secondly, keeping the the old circular drop-off drive-way and the front lawn, helped visitors in understanding how travelers used to arrive at this station. The beauty of this adaptive reuse is that nothing major was altered. If the train has a comeback in the future which it may, this place can be converted back to a railroad station one day easily!
muskegon county convention and visitors bureau, 610 west western ave, muskegon, michigan – 12:59pm, may 21, 2010
the old lobby / waiting room
an old train model showing telling the history of the railroad station
(left) a newly added conference room upstairs (right) refurbished spiral staircase in the front, as shown in the first photo, leading to the upstairs
Old photo showing the drop-off area right in front of the building. They are pretty well dressed, traveling on train must be a big deal!